Sunday, April 18, 2010

Will "Legal Money" get "We Can Be More" love?

Photobucket

Von Won’s upcoming “Legal Money” (featuring Bizzle and Dre’ Murray) track leaked last week and when I heard it, I have to admit, it gave me pause.

My main question is whether or not it would receive the same sort of warm welcome that Sho Baraka and J.R.’s excellent “We Can Be More” song did just a few months ago.

I wonder because neither track is explicitly “Christian” or evangelistic in nature.

Sho’s song offers a God-honoring perspective on an amorous relationship between a man and woman.

Here, Von, Bizzle, and Dre’ seem to take a similar approach to examining man’s constant pursuit of money – cautioning against the illegal means to the end and celebrating a more honorable approach toward those goals.

Von told me he’s targeting this toward mainstream rap radio (as part of his new venture with a Warner Bros. Music-backed label) and believes he’ll receive his first spins on Houston’s 97.9 KBXX this weekend. Many people have also noted that “We Can Be More” can (and should) receive similar crossover exposure.

So, what are your thoughts on “Legal Money?”

My guess is that it won’t receive the same embrace from the Christian hip hop community as “We Can Be More” has, but we’ll see. I’d love to be proved wrong.

Listen/watch: "Legal Money"



Listen/watch "We Can Be More"

No comments: