Tuesday, July 10, 2012

NomiS: If the “Spirit In It” then “Christian rapper” label doesn’t matter

As I noted back in May, the “I’m-a-proud-Christian-rapper” versus the “I’d-prefer-you-just-say-I’m-a-rapper-who-is-a-Christian” debate has been freshly revived by artists like Lecrae and Trip Lee. Former Cross Movement Records artist R-Swift also recently weighed in on Trackstarz Radio, DJ Wade-O wrote a blog about it, and now West Coast vet NomiS has released a full song communicating his take on the matter.

I recently caught up with the Gallery Drive MC via e-mail to discuss the song, why he thinks the “Christian rapper” label is a more profitable career choice, and whether or not he believes the discussion will ever go away.

Sketch: What prompted you to write and record “Spirit In It?” 

NomiS: There wasn’t one specific incident. The inspiration to write this song was a result of many repeated incidents. As an artist, when something is on my mind a lot, I write about it. Initially I didn’t want to make a song because I kind of felt like it was a “dead horse” type of topic. But then I realized that nobody had really talked about it in depth in an actual rap song. Previous to this it was seemingly just a conversation that many were having amongst their own biased circles.

I really wanted to present my opinion in a direct, yet non-confrontational manner. I actually went back and re-wrote a lot of the song because I had to check my own spirit when writing it.

nomis_redjacket

Sketch: You recently got some heat from conservative Christian rap fans for allowing a non-Christian rapper, Sadat X of Brand Nubian fame, to do a guest feature on your upcoming Searching for Alpha Trion album. Did that also play a part in sparking the idea for you to write this song? What did that experience (either recording with Sadat or having to respond to critics or both) teach you?

NomiS: It actually had nothing to do with that. I wrote and recorded the “Spirit In It” track about a year ago. I cut it from this new album because I felt it didn’t fit the vibe of the record honestly. BUT, due to the recent changes happening in “Christian Hip Hop” and due to the fact that I think the song is important, I was encouraged to put it out.

As for the song with Sadat, I’m honored to have someone who’s played a role as large as his in hip hop to be on one of my songs. As for the negative response I’ve gotten from that, sadly I’ve come to expect that from the “CHH” community.

For some reason, some people just can’t fathom the idea that their conviction for how a Christ-centered artist should go about his ministry isn’t a universal one. I’m not out here saying that “my way” is “THE” way to go about it. I’m saying that “my way” is “A” way to go about it. Tedashii is going to have a different approach than I would and that’s the beauty of the body of Christ. It takes all parts to do their job for the body to function properly. In fact Tedashii and I were just talking about this about a week ago. We share a mutual respect for each other’s approach.

Sketch: You’ve told me before that although you attempt to follow the ways of Jesus, you dislike the term Christian rapper. Have you ever been called a coward or been told you’re ashamed of the Gospel (like the people you mention in this song) because you don’t identify yourself with that label? If so, what was that like?

NomiS: These days man, I gave up on that “don’t call me a Christian Rapper” battle. It really isn’t one worth fighting anymore. I would never refer to myself as that, but if someone else does, it doesn’t bother me as much as it used to.

I make honest music. I love Jesus, I carry a burden for social justice and I love hip hop. I want to focus more on always bettering my craft and living out the things I rap about. I’ll let people call it what they want.

I’ve never been called a coward or “ashamed of the Gospel” to my face, but I for sure have via message boards or in some form of online comments. When it happens I don’t get very mad, but I honestly feel pity for the people saying it. In my head it’s like, “These dudes have no idea that the fervor they’re using to insult me (they would probably call it rebuking me because that way they feel justified) is ridiculously misguided”. On another note, I find it highly comical when they “rebuke” me on Christian websites and use all sorts of profanity in the name of Jesus. For some reason, that legitimately makes me laugh out loud when I see it. Does that make me a bad person? (Laughs)

Sketch: From the song, it sounds like you believe that labeling yourself as a “Christian rapper” is an easier and more profitable career choice than being a Christian who doesn’t carry that title. Is that the case? Why?

NomiS: I definitely believe that but let me clarify something first. I don’t think there is ANY PROBLEM AT ALL with some artists taking that route. As I said before, for some people that is the way to go because they can reach and minister to a group that needs to hear it in that fashion.

But, the reality is this: Rap music is ridiculously over-saturated right now due to the overwhelmingly large amount of social media that gives any and everybody a voice. And the advancement in technology in the last six years or so has allowed home recordings with decent quality to be very easily accessible to the world.

Next I’ll use extremely large and round numbers to make my point, but you’ll understand the example. In “Christian rap music,” a new artist is like one more name amongst the million that already exist. But in the “secular” rap world, a new artist is more like one more name amongst the billion that already exist! Imagine that “secular rap music” is a pie and “Christian rap music” is a pie of the exact same size. Splitting the pie a million ways is MUCH easier to get a decent sized piece of the pie than splitting it a billion ways. You feel me? There are a large number of people that buy “Christian music” exclusively. Being that I am in fact a Christian, it would make much more sense economically to do what I can to tap into that market.

For those of you not involved in the industry outside of listening to music, please believe that “Christian music” is a legitimate business. Also, in my experience, the ratio of people who buy music instead of illegally pirating music is much higher in the Christian world. This is another reason why it makes more sense to gear what I do towards that. This is just the tip of the iceberg, but I think I’ve made my point. I could talk about this stuff forever.

nomis_grayshirt2

Sketch: As more artists like Lecrae, Trip Lee, R-Swift, and JR are taking this stance do you think the “Christian rapper” vs. “Rapper who is a Christian” debate will ever go away? Why or why not?

NomiS: Unfortunately I’m pretty confident that it won’t ever go away. I can’t imagine what it would take for people to change their minds because they seem to feel so strongly about their stance. Maybe if Lecrae wins a Grammy and does an alter call on stage and we see Lil Wayne repent before the world – then MAYBE people will start to loosen up a little. Haha.

NomiS’ next album, Searching for Alpha Trion, drops Tuesday, July 17 at all major digital download storefronts.

No comments: