Thursday, July 12, 2012

Is Lecrae flip-flopping on the “Christian rapper” title?

lecrae_sweater
Who’s the next contestant on the “Are you a Christian rapper or a Rapper who is a Christian?” game show?

Well Bob, he’s actually someone who’s graced our stage once before. Scraping the sky at well over six feet tall, he’s the co-owner of Reach Records known for his “Jesus Muzik”… it’s the big homie Lecrae.

Yes indeed, Crayola is back in the headlines after giving a written interview with FamilyChristian.com where it appears he’s re-embracing the “Christian rapper” label.
FC: When you hear the term “Christian rap” or “Christian hip hop,” what do you think?

Lecrae: I think what people are trying to communicate is that there are redeemed individuals within hip hop culture. And I would say I’m one of them. I think that as a Christian, we’re to be a light in this world. I think it’s almost like saying “Christian American,” it doesn’t mean that I’m not American, it just means that I’m distinctly and authentically Christian as much as I am American. And so my Christianity is going to permeate throughout my American-ness. So when I think about Christian hip hop I think of an individual who is a Christian who is using hip hop to communicate things that God will endorse.

So what does this mean to the ongoing debate? Is Lecrae a flip-flopper or a man with a divided mind?




I say no. He’s probably just being strategic.

In one instance (see clip above), he’s talking to an audience who may have negative, preconceived notions about what his music sounds like and talks about. In another, he’s speaking to the website of one of the largest Christian bookstore chains in the nation – a business that still plays a key role in record sales for his label.

My guess is that, like me and several others, Lecrae believes that whether or not he puts forth the “Christian rapper” or “Rapper who is a Christian” title is inconsequential.

People are going to label him and his music regardless of his preference, the content is going to stay the same, and that, like fellow rapper NomiS said, the title doesn’t really matter as long as the “Spirit’s In It.”

So cut the dude some slack and trust that he’s being led by the Holy Spirit and considering each individual audience as he answers such pointed questions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Disagree, confusion is never good especially in interviews. Pick one or the other.