Thursday, September 22, 2011

Lecrae joins local artists for Christian rap love letter to Houston

Photobucket

Lecrae, the Houston-born rapper at the top of the Christian hip hop genre, recently joined local artists Von Won and Shei Atkins for a remix of Wit & Dre Murray's (also from Houston) "Welcome to H-town" song.

The sequel is a part of the Episode 2: Welcome Home series of the duo's Hell's Paradise II: Mask Parade project.




Peep the lyrics below and see how many Houston-specific shoutouts and slang you can identify. There's even an audio "Easter egg" of sorts in Lecrae's verse if you catch it.

Sung refrain: Von Won
(from first version of song, with some slight changes):

Welcome to H-Town, yeah; welcome to H-Town, whoa;
Said ‘em boys ridin’ clean…but without the King, what does it really mean?
Cup full of lean, got a Sweet full of green, wake up, boy, this ain’t a dream!
Welcome to H-Town, yeah; welcome to H-Town, whoa;
I’m prayin’ for H-Town, yeah, yeah; welcome to H-Town, whoa, yeah.

Verse 1: (Dre Murray)
Roamin’ round the earth, thinkin’ bout my city, yeah, the place of my birth
Every time I hear that name, I feel this pain in my shirt
Right next to my heart, like a flame, and it hurts!
Ignored it at first, but now I think it’s something I must address

The right spot to get this thing off a my chest,
The caged bird won’t be able to sing until it rest;
You just gimme a chance to explain, I do my best;
Explain to you why I left—He orders my steps;

To expound any further would be a waste of breath.
This story’s a little bit more than it seems; it has some depth
It’s like I haven’t waken up from a dream, quiet as kept
Nevertheless, baby, I love H-Town; pray for my city when my knees hit the ground;
I pray you find a Savior like I did, H-Town, ‘cuz when He come through,
[chopped and screwed effect] man, it’s goin’ down.

Verse 2: (Lecrae)
I was born in H-town, starched down, way back,
When them slabs in the city, beat that Screw off in the back
Pokin’ out, keep them spinners, eatin’ Frenchy’s chicken dinner
Family came from 3rd ward, Scott Street on up to Ennis,

Hangin’ out in Sunnyside, with my cousin Corey,
They was on that purple Sprite, I was still sippin’ 40s,
Keke’s “Still Pimpin’” stories as I’m passing by Yates, stop and wonderin’ if I'll land at heaven’s gates,
I told my cousin D at TSU while smokin’ trees,
“I think the Lord is calling me”; both of us agree.

And man, I love the city of my birth, that’s why I plead
That God would change the “H” same way he’s changing me.

(sung, from 1st version of song):
‘Cause All I cared about was ridin’ clean, a pocket full of green,
And find a bad yella I can put up on my team,
My bros ridin’ dirty, you know your soul ain’t clean—
Go on, let the Lord intervene.

(sung refrain, from 1st version of song, Von Won w/Shei Atkins):
Welcome to H-Town, yeah [Lecrae speaks over the singing, “What up H-town? I still love you, baby”];
Welcome to H-Town, whoa, yeah;
They say them boys ridin’ clean, fresh up on the scene, but without the King, what does it really mean?
Cup full a lean, Sweet full of green, wake up, boy, this ain’t a dream!
Welcome to H-Town, yeah ; welcome to H-Town, whoa, yeah;
I’m prayin’ for H-Town, yeah, yeah; welcome to H-Town, whoa, yeah

Verse 3 (Dre Murray)
I had a dream on the plane that I was sitting in the slab
Seat back, bass up, chuckin’ deuce and giving dab
Talkin’ to my partners ‘bout these plans that I have,
When I told ‘em Oklahoma, man, dem boys just laughed, like,

“Where dat at, folk? Man, stop the joking! Yeah, you hoop, but you ain’t that dope!,”
It’s like they couldn’t understand me having that hope,
Tryin to serve God, they want me serving fiends with that dope,
A job where we flat broke. Pass the kill

And as I got higher, death is what I started to feel—“Dawg, we smokin’ kill!”
Hah. I backed away from The Killer, and as He picked up my life, and my vision got clearer
Destiny is screaming; it’s faint, but I hear her;
Things are bad right now, but the man in the mirror
Is tryin’ to make a change, rearrange some things. H-town, I still love ya, hold up mayne

(sung refrain, from 1st version of song; Shei Atkins only)
Welcome to H-Town (4x)
(sung refrain, from 1st version of song; Von Won only)
Welcome to H-Town, yeah; welcome to H-Town, whoa; yeah
Said ‘em boys ridin’ clean…but without the King, what does it really mean?
Got a cup full a lean, Sweet full of green, wake up, boy, this ain’t a dream!
Welcome to H-Town, yeah; welcome to H-Town, whoa; yeah
I’m prayin’ for H-Town, yeah, yeah; welcome to H-Town, whoa, yeah

(sung refrain, from 1st version of song; Shei Atkins only)
Welcome to H-Town (4x)

HP2 - Episode 2: Welcome Home can be purchased through iTunes or at invisiblegorilla.net.

No comments: