Sunday, April 1, 2012

INTERVIEW: Lil Raskull talks about his new "Quotes from a G.O.A.T." book

Photobucket

On April 1, Houston’s Delbert “Lil Raskull” Harris released his new book Quotes from a G.O.A.T. - (Greatest of All Time) Volume 1.

I recently caught up with the veteran Christian rapper (whose We Are Legend album was one of my favorites of last year) via e-mail to discuss the tome’s content (the subtitle says: "Daily thoughts and Facebook posts), his use of the G.O.A.T. name, and his post-University of Houston plans.

Sketch: First off, why should I buy this book when I can just be your “friend” on Facebook and get my daily dose for free?

Ras: Personally, I'm a fan of print but of course I won't hold everyone to my preference. I think to have all the quotes together and accessible makes them easier to read. Also, there was a book like this called Acts of Faith that ultimately led me to salvation, so I believe Quotes from a G.O.A.T. can have that same capability.

Sketch: You titled the book Quotes from a G.O.A.T. - (Greatest of All Time) Volume 1. Isn’t that a little egotistical, especially for a Christian rapper?

Ras: Yes, but I'm one of those who complains about Christian hip hop artists not paying enough respect to the forerunners. I'm still active, so my fight isn't just for personal reasons.

Whatever the case, this lifetime has taught me something and that is people will say about you what you first tell yourself - good or bad. So yes, I am one of the greatest of all time, be it ego, truth, or both.

Photobucket

Sketch: You’re a Christian rap veteran. Why write a book like this and instead of one about the history of the movement or your own involvement in it?

Ras: I believe the book will reach people outside of my genre of music. In fact, in the preface I address readers who may not be fans of hip hop. I can't stand it myself sometimes. All in all, I think the book is easy read, entertaining, and educational in some aspects - pretty decent for my first rodeo.

Sketch: You’re about to graduate from the University of Houston with a political science degree. What’s next for Lil Raskull/Ras/Delbert R. Harris?

Ras: Eventually I will tackle law school, but I’ve got to get couple of the kids out of the house before I focus that intensely on studies. My son is fast tracking to an athletic scholarship and career, plus he eats a lot, so I've got to get him shipped off first. Until then, I'll be announcing more music and business ventures soon.



Sketch: Who would win a religious rap wisdom Tweet-off? You and the Facebook app on your Android or Rev Run on his Blackberry in the bathtub?

Ras: That's a good one. Of course, Rev Run would win because I would feel bad punching my father. (Laughs)

No really, he's seen a side of life I haven't quite experienced so I believe his wisdom runs a little deeper than mine. Also, all my Tweets and posts aren't exactly spiritual. But if you can arrange a Tweet-off I'll accept the challenge.

To purchase your copy of Quotes from a G.O.A.T. Volume 1 send money orders for $6.99 to:

Delbert R. Harris
4022 Bennington St.
Houston, Texas 77016

Or email Delbert.Harris[at]gmail[dot]com and describe your interest and payment arrangement.

No comments: