Thursday, July 22, 2010

Jay-Z's "Free Mason" verse draws different opinions throughout Christian rap community

Photobucket

The Jay-Z is a Satanist/member of the Illuminati stories just won’t go away.

He’s tried ignoring them. Then playing into them. And when Rick RossTeflon Don album dropped this Tuesday, the artist officially took the issue head on with a guest verse on a song titled “Free Mason.”
“I said I was amazing / Not that I’m a Mason / It’s amazing that I made it though the maze that I was in / Lord forgive me I never would’ve made it without sin” – Jay-Z on “Free Mason”
Still, many MCs who claim the cross take issue with Jay-Z’s recent imagery and hints at a dark side. In January, Houston rapper Bizzle made waves when he released a track called “Explaining to Do (Jay-Z Expose’)” that was directed at the man who calls himself “Jay-hova.”

The accompanying YouTube video (now at over 53,000 views) is filled with visual examples of possible connections to the occult and was featured on mainstream rap sites like Allhiphop.com and Worldstarhiphop.com. Overnight, the previously unknown Bizzle found himself in the middle of a firestorm.

“I’m really trying not to get stuck on the Jay-Z stuff and just want to focus on telling people about the Lord and his Good News,” Bizzle said.

But obviously, the kid known for calling out Jay has an opinion about his “Free Mason” verse.

“I think he only cleared up things for ‘blind’ people who want to remain ‘blind.’ They didn’t want to hear a real explanation, they just want to hear him say it’s not true,” Bizzle said.

“And no, I don’t think it was a response to my song. If that’s the case he would have addressed the specific points I raised. To me, the logic should be that if I brought up 20 signs that point to him being a Mason and having Satanic ties then he should have to bring up 21 things that say the opposite.”

Other Christian rappers aren’t so convinced. Dre’ Murray (a Houston native) has shared songs with Bizzle but thinks that Jay-Z’s verse adequately addressed the issue.

“Make no mistake, Jay’z imagery in the past, especially in the ‘On to the Next One’ video, was blatant. But I think he was just trying to push people’s buttons,” Murray said. “I think there was some clarity in ‘Free Mason’ where he owned up to some stuff and denied other parts.

“Could he be lying? Sure, but for me to devote all my time trying to figure out what he is or isn’t really defeats my purpose as a Christian MC. Good should be out fighting evil, not sitting around talking about it.”

Still, there’s no clear consensus about Jay-Z’s lyrics and actions in the holy hip hop community. Here’s what outspoken New York rapper Lavoisier told me when he was in town for The Houston Project last week.



What are your thoughts? Have you heard Jay-Z’s “Free Mason” or Bizzle’s “Explaining to Do?” Does the evidence add up to you or did Jay adequately address these concerns?

No comments: